Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Holy Moly

I wonder what it means that my two favorite books this year, The Spiral Staircase and Tattoos on the Heart, are by a former Catholic nun and a Jesuit priest. Maybe I'm going back to my roots:) All I can say is that every word of Tattoos on the Heart rang true deep into my soul, like this passage:

There is enough strained obligation in what we think God asks of us that our mantra might as well be "The Lord is nothing I shall want." But the task at hand is only about delighting - with joy at the center. At ease. We can all relax. John 3:16 is displayed on big signs at every sporting event, "Yes, God so loved the world..." Yet the most electrifying, wholly affirming, life altering word in the entire sentence is "Yes." It's about alignment with God's own "yes," deciding to actually be there, all the time, when delight happens. So, as the letter of James ends, "Let your yes mean yes."

~Father Greg Boyle