Thursday, March 24, 2011

enjoy and love adventure - day five

IMG_0270

Today's adventure was a routine trip to the doctor, just for an annual physical. If only I could convince my sweet nervous system of that. The good news is that my bloodwork and EKG looked great. Oh, and that I don't have to go back until next year:) But I clearly still have some work to do with my frequent guest, Anxiety, who loves to show how hard my heart can pump while they take my blood pressure. Thanks.

But that really is my attitude. Thank you, Anxiety, for wanting to protect me. Still, I think we can rethink this approach for the 21st century. In the most gentle, loving way I'm trying to greet the first signs of Anxiety in my body and remind it that I will actually, despite its best intentions, do better if I can relax my throat, heart, and stomach, if I can feel my breath in my belly and my feet on the ground or seat in the chair, if I can open my senses to everything that's going on around me.

We're working on this one together, Anxiety and I, because I know we both have my best interests in mind. But we're not quite there yet.