Thursday, February 10, 2011

Pushing

DSCN3124

"One time we were working on a problem with a scene. There were a lot of things to consider - lighting, staging, pacing, and the like. We were up very late struggling to find the right way to do it. Finally, when we seemed close to the solution, [Alfred] Hitchcock came in and started telling jokes, silly, junior high-type stuff, and got us all lost again. Later, I asked him why, when we were so close to solving the problem, did he choose that moment to get us off track by joking around? He paused, and then said something I'll never forget. He said, 'You were pushing. It never comes from pushing.'"

~Hume Cronyn, quoted in Sabbath

[I'll let you in on a little secret - I advance post most things that show up here during the week the weekend before. What fun this week to find wonderful Steph musing on this same topic on Monday! And thank goodness for advance posting - I didn't get home last night! Nashville got snow just at the wrong time and after 4.5 hours on the bus dear friends were able to find a safe place for me to rest my head for the night. It will sure feel good to get home today and give my sweetie a huge hug!]