Monday, February 28, 2011

Monday's Inspiration Celebration - Independent Lens


Yesterday I was pretty seriously in need of some inspiration. I'd taken care of everything that "needed" to be done and I knew I could just fritter the day away in nervous anxiety or I could find some way to feed my soul. Mindlessly scanning my Netflix queue one title jumped out at me: The Parking Lot Movie. And that turned my whole day around.

I have always loved smart misfits and this documentary is full of them at their best. But the other great thing about this movie is that Netflix's copy of it has the Independent Lens information at the beginning. I'm ashamed to admit that the library has had an on-going series of showing these documentaries for years. I even helped with a craft before the start of one of them. But have I ever attended a screening? Not once. Not even for the one I helped with. Nope, I just cleaned up the craft and hit the road. So, I totally understand if you read this post and think it's not for you. But keep it in the back of your mind for a gray Sunday when you need to be reminded of our common humanity and all that is right in this troubled world. And then you might consider also watching Ram Dass: Fierce Grace and The Cats of Mirikitani. I don't believe I'm steering you wrong and yes, all of these are currently streaming on Netflix, as are many of the other Independent Lens titles.