Wednesday, September 8, 2010

A smile


If you've ever wondered about the power of smiling at strangers, Thirteen Conversations About One Thing is the movie for you. Again, not streaming on Netflix and my copy froze in the middle of probably the most pivotal scene, but I can't get it out of my mind. The writer/director Jill Sprecher said this about her inspiration for part of the storyline: "I moved to New York from Wisconsin and really loved the city and something happened that sort of dampened my enthusiasm for New York and I kind of had to find my way back. So the very end scene in the film is also based on the experience that happened to me on the subway and I was crying and I noticed a guy look at me and smile right at a time when I thought people were callus." Yes, a smile can inspire a movie! (Sorry about another film post - if you're getting the picture that I'm currently Netflix's biggest customer you're not far from the truth...)