Monday, December 27, 2010

Monday's Inspiration Celebration

light and dark 2

My sweet hubby gave me Wayne Muller's Sabbath for Christmas and it is totally inspiring me to bring more intentional rest into my life in 2011. The more present to my life I've become in the past few years, the more I've seen rushing as a form of violence. (Not that it's stopped me, mind you...) Think of my surprise when I read these lines by Thomas Merton:

There is a pervasive form of contemporary violence...
[and that is] activism and overwork. The rush and pressure
of modern life are a form, perhaps the most common form,
of its innate violence.


So, I'm asking myself how I can slow down, how I can make the space for rest. It seems like a good question to ponder. Yesterday I made some changes to my interface with the internet (which I find can really eat up any free time I have) by setting up an iGoogle page where I can see my incoming email from Yahoo and Gmail and posts from my favorite blogs all on one page. And there's a timer:) It will be interesting to see if this makes a difference. I know the biggest dealbreaker for me will be my own attitude and priorities. But it seems like a good time to make a change.