Saturday, June 16, 2012

purpose adventure

I watched an Eckhart Tolle video about finding one's life purpose last weekend and it really affected how I experienced this past week. Here's the sequence that has stuck with me:



I laughed with complete recognition when he described how most people drink a glass of water. That's definitely how I've lived so much of my life. But I really am starting to feel the violence of that. The more time (and it's a second by second practice for me) I'm spending being present in each moment and seeing that as my purpose, the more whole I feel. It's pretty powerful! And definitely fits with my Less theme for the year.

Seeing each moment as enough and gathering my energy from where it leaks into the past and future has such a good, healthy feeling to it, when I'm there. It also feels great not to have such a sense of striving and to see life as a friend and not a big self-improvement project that I'm responsible for.

At the same time, it's been helpful to remember one of my favorite lojong slogans through all of this: "Abandon any hope of fruition." It's amazing how I can turn even befriending my life and surrendering to the moment as something to strive for. I would love to learn to relax into all of this instead of constantly pushing for it. But I'm encouraged when I read these types of reminders and know I'm not alone.