Monday, March 1, 2010

The Rite of Spring

My "European Musical Theater of the Early Twentieth Century" class with the wonderful Gerry Moshell was hands-down one of the best experiences I had in college. It opened the world up to me in an amazing way. I fell totally in love with this music that pretty much everyone else in the class hated. Maybe that's why?:) But really it just spoke to me. And now I can actually see some great performances of these pieces thanks to You Tube. That would have been amazing at the time. Although honestly I loved the ritual of going into the basement of the Austin Arts building and getting a cassette tape of the listening assignment and a key to a listening room and getting lost in the music. It must be such a different experience now. I imagine it's all online and the students can listen anywhere. I loved the sensory deprivation aspect of the basement listening rooms. Just listen. And listen. I loved it.

Here's a recreation of Nijinsky's original choreography for Stravinsky's Le Sacre du Printemps by the Joffrey Ballet.