Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Another book?!


I know - criminy! Am I on a roll or what? All I can say is that this beautiful spring weather just makes me want to lounge around and read all day and so I'm doing as much of that as I can. Thank goodness for Oprah's lists! I'm just warning you, The Postmistress is one sad story, but a great one with wonderful writing and compelling characters. So compelling that I started casting the movie adaptation. Julianne Moore, Naomi Watts, Natalie Portman, Ben Affleck, and Paul Giamatti inhabited the pages of this book for me. I'm sure you'd have your own picks.

I love this insight provided by the author in her "Story Behind the Story" at the end of the book:

"It's about the lies we tell others to protect them, and about the lies we tell ourselves in order not to acknowledge what we can't bear: that we are alive, for instance, and eating lunch, while bombs are falling, and refugees are crammed into camps, and the news comes toward us every hour of the day. And what, in the end, do we do?"

Good question.