Wednesday, May 12, 2010

I've got the blues


I have to admit that the flood in Nashville has really shaken me. At the same time that there's been a heartwarming outpouring of help in the community, there's still a heavy feeling. Friends and friends of friends lost a lot in the flood, in some cases parts of their homes and in some cases family members. This doesn't feel like a 500-year or 1000-year flood. This feels like global warming and something that could happen again, anytime. I look at the sky and instead of feeling my worries fall away I feel betrayed. I love that Mother Nature is stronger than all of the human beings ignorantly destroying her, but the soft animal of my body absolutely does not want to be destroyed either.

So I'm doing what I can to take care of myself as I ride out the blues: making sure I'm getting enough sleep, staying to my usual exercise routine, trying to eat healthy, reading The Sun magazine, watching the birds Rodg fed tonight, breathing in, breathing out, keeping my feet on the ground, in short, trying to nourish my soul. If any of you are in a hard place, too, know that I'm sending lots of love to all of us as we make our way in this sometimes overwhelming world.