Saturday, February 13, 2010

Let it break your heart


Continuing on, my second Personal Commandment is "Let it break your heart." I really do feel, for myself, that the more heartbroken I can be the more present I am. Maybe heartbroken is a loaded word, but it is truly how I feel. Not heartbroken in a romantic sense -- I'm very, very lucky in that aspect of my life -- but heartbroken seeing how truly vulnerable we all are. It is a sweet sort of sadness, because when I'm feeling this kind of heartbroken and raw I see all the love, too. And I want to hold everyone in my heart with a deep sense of connection.

One surefire way for me to break my heart when it gets too rigid and cold is to read The Sun Magazine. The interviews, essays, memoirs, fiction, and poems are always thoughtful and well-written and the photography is beautiful, but the section that regularly cracks me wide open is Readers Write where people send in their stories relating to different posted topics, topics like "borrowing," "beauty," and "slowing down." And they knock me out. Every time.

Sy Safransky started The Sun in the mid-70s and went ad-free in 1990. That's right, ad-free. Take that Oprah!:) If you're looking for a source of honest, provocative writing to keep you human, I recommend checking out The Sun, an artistic endeavor well worth your support.