Saturday, September 1, 2012

greatness adventure


school flowers

While chatting with a fellow participant at the Shambhala Training weekend in Birmingham, I learned about A Touch of Greatness. This documentary came so highly recommended, and I was looking for something about that length to watch on my Kindle Fire back at the hotel anyway, that I decided to give it a try. And it blew me away!

I haven't been able to stop recommending this film to anyone who will listen. Albert Cullum was a teacher in Rye, NY in the late '50s and early '60s who was so present to his students and who so saw in each of them a touch of greatness, that he completely revolutionized education in his grade school classrooms. Amazingly, his friend Robert Downey, Sr. captured this on film - his black and white footage is devastatingly beautiful.

I can't do this film justice. Learn more about it here, watch the trailer here and scenes from it here, and if you're lucky enough to be able to stream it on Netflix, put it at the top of your queue!